CDS Meeting minutes Nov 8 2017
Stephanie kicked off the meeting with a welcome and preview of the agenda.
Carl introduced several new members. He also stated that the club is not planning a large raffle fund raiser like we have done the last couple years. Instead we will use the 50/50 raffle at club meetings.
Byron gave us an update from WSSA:
1. Byron is not seeking reelection for the Dist. 1 S representative spot that he now holds. We are looking for replacement candidates.
2. Several other WSSA positions are turning over this year as well including President, Vice President and publicity secretary. Anyone interested in these positions can submit an article to the Sno-Flyer to advertise his/her goals and qualifications.
Stephanie and Andrea gave us some results from the snow show
1. There were 6200 people attending the show.
2. The Blue lot had great participation on Saturday but was light on Sunday.
3. CDS contributed 139 volunteer hours which generated $1069 to the club.
Stephanie gave a membership update.
1. Fourteen new memberships since September 1.
2. About half of our existing members have not yet renewed for the year. Please use the website to renew.
Stephanie introduced upcoming events:
1. Avalanche education opportunities
A. Nov 13. 6:00-9:00 Clem’s in Enumclaw
B. Friday Nov 10 7:00-9:00 Premier Polaris in Monroe with refreshments starting at 5:30.
C. Numerous other opportunities at the Last Resort in Ronald. See their website for details.
2. Christmas Party at the Last Resort on 12/9.
A. Must register on club website and select menu item (selection options to be added soon. If you already registered, we will contact you for menu selection)
B. We will plan to have at least a couple of rides for different levels of skill. Rides will be posted once we have enough information about the snow conditions.
3. Ladies ride with Stephanie Santeford 1/6-1/7
Stephanie updated us on the club survey results. The clear winner of the survey was to install a beacon check station at Crystal Springs. We will pursue this as our club project for the year.
Stephanie also gave an update regarding Mick Steinman’s efforts to install a warming shelter. Mick has done quite a bit of leg work including procurement of a container which can be converted to a shelter. Mick has also obtained some funding from club member Dick Elkins for the project. If you are interested in supporting this project, please contact Mick.
Stephanie reminded us of the Amazon Smile program. There is a link to Amazon on our website. Please use this link when shopping on Amazon as it will result in a small percentage of your purchase dollars being donated to the club from Amazon.
Jon Ferrian gave us an update
1. Sledbash Saturday Nov 11 at Beardslee public house in Bothell. This will feature the premiere of Thunderstruck 16 video. The event is a fundraiser for NWAC. Bring lots of $$ for raffle ticket purchases as there will be great prizes.
2. Bavarian boondocker snow show in Leavenworth Nov 18.s
3. Ferrian family fun ride schedule.
A. December 16
B. January 13
C. February 24
D. March 17
E. April 7
Carl Corn followed up with the night’s feature presentation on getting ready for the riding season.
1. Start with sledfit 12 week program to get in shape
2. Work on backcountry ascender
3. Renew WSSA and CDS memberships
4. Buy tabs for your sled
5. Wash riding gear with Nik Wax
6. Check goggle lenses
7. Check for wear on clothing
8. Check airbag
9. Check batteries on transceiver
10. Charge and test radio
11. Update contacts for your InReach Explorer
12. Carry 10 essentials (handout provided)